International School Brescia has been authorized to
deliver the IB Primary Years Programme since 2012
The IB Primary Years Programme
An aim of the PYP is to create a transdisciplinary curriculum that is engaging, relevant, challenging and significant for learners in the 3-12 age range. The PYP also:
- addresses students’ academic, social and emotional well-being;
- encourages students to develop independence and to take responsibility for their own learning;
- supports students’ efforts to gain understanding of the world and to function comfortably within it;
- helps students establish personal values as a foundation upon which international-mindedness will develop and flourish.
What is the Primary Years Programme?
The IB® Primary Years Programme (PYP) is a curriculum framework designed for students aged 3 to 10. It focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside. It is defined by six transdisciplinary themes of global significance, explored using knowledge and skills derived from six subject areas, with a powerful emphasis on inquiry-based learning.
The PYP is flexible enough to accommodate the demands of most national or local curriculums and provides the best preparation for students to engage in the IB Middle Years Programme.
The PYP is underpinned by six transdisciplinary themes around which learning is planned, and these are:
- Who we are;
- Where we are in place and time;
- How we express ourselves;
- How the world works;
- How we organise ourselves;
- Sharing the planet.